Canada Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) Immigration
Federal Skilled Worker applications are based on an applicant’s ability to become economically self-sufficient contributors to Canadian economy.
Federal Skilled Worker applications are being processed through the Express Entry immigration selection system for immigration to Canada. Candidates eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker Class must first make an expression of interest in immigrating to Canada by creating an online Express Entry profile.
In order to be eligible for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, Federal Skilled Worker applicants must:
- Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation (National Occupational Classification skill lever 0, A or B); or
- Qualify for Arranged Employment In Canada with a qualifying job offer from a Canadian employer; and
- Pass a minimum threshold of language ability in one of Canada’s two official languages, English or French.
In addition, Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must obtain at least 67 points based on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) immigration selection factors.
The following are the selection factors for this stream:
- Education:In this factor, candidates can be awarded up to 25 points for your formal education.
- Language Skills:In this factor, candidates can be awarded up to 28 total points (24-first official language, 4-second official language).
- Work Experience:In this factor, candidates can be awarded up to 15 points for certain paid, skilled work experience that they have acquired in the last 10 years, but they must attain at least a score of 9 points or a minimum threshold of one year work experience in order to qualify.
- Age:Candidates can be awarded up to 12 points based on their age at the time of applying.
- Arranged Employment:Candidates can be awarded up to 10 points if they have arranged employment in Canada that meets certain requirements.
- Adaptability:Candidates can be awarded up to 10 points for a number of factors that show that they are adaptable to moving to Canada.
Once a candidate meets the eligibility and points requirements, he or she must show that he or she has sufficient settlement funds to support him or herself and any dependents after his or her arrival in Canada. Lastly, candidates and their dependents must also undergo medical examinations and obtain security clearances as part of the Canadian immigration application process.
Federal Skilled Worker Processing Times vary from one Canadian Immigration Visa office to another.
Federal Skilled Worker Government Processing Fees can vary with exchange rates and are subject to change. Click here to see details for the latest fees required for this program.
Federal Skilled Worker Application Process
Learn more about how the application process works so that you can know what to expect from the very first step to the moment you land in Canada as a Permanent Resident.