Select Page

Outland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

This sponsorship program allows a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to sponsor his or her spouse/common-law partner for permanent resident status, regardless of which country the spouse is currently residing.

Canadian Spousal Sponsorship is all about bringing families together. This program is a subsection of the Family Class immigration category. In this program, a Canadian or permanent resident may sponsor his or her spouse/common-law partner for permanent resident status in Canada. Similar to most of immigration programs, this application requires extensive paperworks, documentation, proof of your relationship to make sure that your application will succeed.

There are two parts to the spousal sponsorship application:

  • First, The Canadian or permanent resident applies to sponsor his or her spouse or common-law partner.
  • Second, the spouse or common-law partner applies for permanent residence.

The Outland sponsorship application is generally chosen when the sponsored person is living outside Canada. This applications are processed through the visa office that serves the applicant’s country of origin, or where they have resided legally for at least one year. Processing times varies on individual countries where the application is being processed, which allows couples to be well informed to come up with their decisions on which sponsorship application could it be Inland or Outland, they should pursue.

In most cases of spousal and common-law partner sponsorships, IRCC is committed to issuing visas as fast as they could in order to promptly reunite families. IRCC aims to process applications submitted through this program within 12 months. It could either be Inland or Outland sponsorship,  both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet a number of specific requirements in order to be considered eligible.